Ideal for current Resolve Colorists and assistant operators. We cover advanced techniques and tricks using the latest software with the daVinci Resolve control surface. These classes are normally capped at eight-ten people with each student getting a workstation with either the Wave, Element or Ripple. Students are encouraged to bring their own material so the instructor and the students can grade and discuss the different formats and the challenges they bring. This is an advanced class that looks at color correction in general not only from the daVinci point of view.
This class is designed around a small conformed sequence that you can take away. We will work through the project from start to finish using Resolve V14 and consider the best strategies to get the job finished efficiently. You will be able to keep the media project and stills — a great way to continue your learning.
The LA classes are recognized by the Motion Picture Editors Guild and their members are eligible to get two thirds of cost of the class reimbursed through Contract Services. More information at www.csatf.org. You must apply to them and be pre-approved in order to qualify for reimbursement.
You Will Learn
- Start with a complete look at v12.5, what tools are great for the colorist?
- A complete workflow using advanced techniques on supplied material that you can take away.
- Bring in camera original footage using the new Media Management tool
- Grade a look for editing from the 4K RAW camera files.
- Making a LUT, exporting LUTs and Looks
- Render 1920 ProRes or DNxHD for Editing, H264 for the web. DPX for VFX
Export and XML/AAF from FCP/Premiere. How to Round-trip successfully.
- Conform the ProRes in Resolve using the XML, it’s not correct what can we do?
- How to animate shapes and framing with the keframing tools
- Bring in audio .wav then compare the conform with the offline reference movie.
- Swap to the RAW camera files.
- “Conform v Bake”, what are the pros and cons of each workflow?
- Where do we start the grade?
- New Primary controls. 3 way color corrector. Offset, Curves and LOG grading
- Look creation. How to preview a look through the whole timeline using Playheads.
- Plugin FXs, is this a job for the Colorist?
- Advanced secondary grading, keying including the new 3D keyer
- Advanced tracking controls with the new 3D tracker.
- VFX shots inserted into the timeline
- Physically add grain and scratches from supplied ICA media.
- External mattes, how do they help us?
- NR we look at the different types, using the Splitter and Combiner Node
All students on this course receive an ICA Certificate.