The THX Certified Professional Video Systems Calibration Workshop is a professional program designed to take video professionals to the next level. Comprised of workbook focused exercises on the first day, followed by two full days of supervised, hands-on practice, this THX workshop provides you with the necessary tools to start offering monitor calibration services immediately.
During the interactive session you will be working with professional calibration equipment from manufacturers such as Minolta, Photo Research, Lumagen, Gretag MacBeth, Quantum Data, JETI, and Murideo. In addition, you will receive hands-on training on various monitor technologies including: LED, OLED, and DLP LCOS and LCD projectors. In addition various high end video processors (LUT boxes), and multiple high end Blu-Ray and UHD players – all loaded with the latest HD and SD test discs. THX emphasizes color management systems and how to best adjust them to achieve true reference colors.
The Course is divided into 3 sections: Day 1 is THX Video 1, and the attendee may achieve THX Certified Professional Status. Day 2 and 3, is THX Video Level 2, and the attendee may achieve THX Certified Video Professional Status and also be able to offer “THX Certified Video Calibrations”. Day 4 is a separate class offered by Lion AV, and is focused on advanced concepts, 4K, and HDR. Day 4 participants will receive a certificate by LionAV.
As soon as you complete this course you will be registered to access the THX Video Calibrators’ forum, www.lionavtech.com. This unique community gives you key industry information, such as the service level calibration codes needed for top quality calibration, as well as a direct Q&A forum to support you when working in the field.
In addition to being able to offer a premium calibration service, you will be able to offer THX Calibration plaques including a “THX Calibrated” certificate, and a thank you letter from THX. This marketing tool can be used to generate additional sales, helping to offset the cost of the workshop itself. You are welcome to bring your own calibration tools to class. However, if you are interested in purchasing equipment, this class will help you identify the right tools to fit your needs.
What you will learn
THX Video Training, Level I, Day One: CEDIA CEUP502: 6.0 CEUs
- History of Television (brief)
- Why We Calibrate
- What Makes a “Good” Image, Just Noticeable Differences (JND), and Video Performance
- Signal Path and Optimization Strategies
- Calibration Process
- Contrast Ratios and Screen Uniformity (Lab #1)
- Geometry & Convergence
- Contrast and Brightness (Lab #2)
- Color, Tint and Color Decoding (Lab #3)
- Sharpness and Enhancement Controls (Lab #4)
- Overview of color management systems (CMS)
- Discuss of Look Up Tables (LUT) and how to apply them
THX Video Training, Level II, Day Two: CEDIA CEUP503: 8 CEUs
- Calibration Process and Integration of Signal Generators
- Grayscale and Gamma
- Software and Hardware Choices (Lab #5)
- Competing Display Technologies
- Hands-On Grayscale Calibration with Different Technologies (Lab #6)
- Overview of Front Projector Setup, Hands-on Training, Keystone and Other Geometry Corrections & Screen Technologies
- Scaling Technologies, Hardware relating to LUTs
- Processing Issues; Progressive/Interlace
- De-interlacing with Examples from HD and DVD Benchmark Discs
- Environmental Issues
- Color Science and Color Standards Including Color Gamut (CCA and CMS) Management
- Approach to Calibrating CCA and CMA … Examples of Different Systems (Lab #7)
- 3D calibration techniques
- Day & Night Modes (Lab #8) and Calibrating to Black & White Films
- Application of 3D Look Up Tables (LUT) and how they apply to home theater and post production
- The Future of display technology including discussion of Ultra HD (UHD / 4K), OLED, etc
- Online Exam & In-Field Calibrations
- Summary & Putting it All Together
Day 4: Lion AV – Advanced Concepts 4k and High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- Discuss the essential elements of calibration – Regardless of technology
- Discuss the specifics of calibration related to 4K
- Discuss the specifics of calibration related to HDR
- Discuss emerging technologies and their implications relating to setup.
- Hands on training specifically relating to 4K and HDR
- THX Video Training Level 1: THX Certified Professional
- THX Video Training level 2: THX Certified Video Professional and able to offer THX Certified Video Calibrations
- Lion AV / HDR Training: Lion AV – HDR Certification