Synopsis – 2 or 3 Days Updated for 2017!
This is the most popular ICA class and is designed for industry professionals, assistant colorists and newer colorists. It covers colorist theory and a detailed look at color tools. It also suggests grading strategies, and session management techniques. There is a Nucoda Film Master to demonstrate and practice on, but the course content is not system specific and is useful for using and comparing all grading systems. Laptop systems are welcome in the class. Participants are encouraged to bring frames or clips to discuss during the class.
The first day covers colorist theories and explains the physical, psychological and cultural aspects of seeing. This leads to an understanding of how influential visual clues are in audience reaction and emotion. (The first part is also offered as a one day class: Color Theory with Kevin) The course then examines the film, video and graphics color tools that are available and how, when and why they might be used. We also cover best practices for colorist workflows and session management. (The second part is also offered as a one day class: Colorist Tools with Kevin)
In 2017 the syllabus has been updated to include scene referred workflows, 4k and HDR basics.
London: £1080 3 days including Looks with Kevin
- 3 – 5 April 2017 online registration open
Chicago: 3 days including Looks with Kevin
- 8-10 May 2017 online registration open
You Will Learn
- How we perceive and react to color
- The truth about resolution, bit depth and dynamic range
- Ways to work with log and linear grades
- How colorists make an image look great
- Why primary tools are actually different on every system
- Which techniques are most effective for secondary grading
- What you can do to protect image quality
- How to work faster
- Ways to use DI workflows
- How to work with clients
All students on this course receive an ICA Certificate.
There are regular open classes in London. Other locations are arranged on demand. This class can also be run privately on site.
- Phone (worldwide requests) +44 7921 677369